Putting away furniture in self-storage is always a good idea if you want to keep the furniture but don't currently have space for it. For example, if you are moving or downsizing; whatever the case may be, self-storage can protect your furniture until you are ready to use it again. However, to ensure that it is actually usable when you take it back out of storage, you should consider these five tips for protecting it when you put it away in storage:
- Wrap in Bubble Wrap: Any breakable parts on your furniture should be wrapped in bubble wrap. This includes glass door knobs, glass doors, and more. This is going to protect these parts, which prevents it from breaking and causing damage to other parts of the furniture, as well.
- Don't Use Plastic: Many times, people will use plastic wraps to wrap the furniture that they are storing. The problem with this is that the plastic traps in a great deal of moisture, which can lead to mold growth and other problems, such as warping. Instead, you should use wraps that are made of other materials, such as cotton, which is much more breathable, which prevents condensation build up.
- Use Fitted Covers: Instead of using a kind of cover to wrap furniture, you should use covers that are fitted to that kind of furniture. This is the best way to protect the furniture and ensure that it is fully protected while still having breathing space. This is also going to be the most effective way to prevent dirt and debris build up on the furniture.
- Clean the Furniture Beforehand: Before you store the furniture in your self-storage unit, you should thoroughly clean it. This is going to ensure that any dirt on it is not going to cause damage once it's left to sit. It also prevents heavy dust and debris build up in the storage unit for a longer period of time.
- Read Up on Specific Tips: If you have specific types of furniture that you are looking to store, such as antique furniture, you should read up on specific ways to store it that is going to protect it long term. When you have delicate furniture, such as this, it's going to require more specific up-front care before storing it.
When you consider these five tips, you can be sure that the furniture you store away is going to be protected. Contact a company like Payless Self Storage for more information and assistance.Share